Whether you live in someplace warm or somewhere that has unbearably frigid temperatures in January it is still the perfect time for a romantic getaway, even if you’re not trying to escape the cold. After the holiday season, we could all use a little decompressing and what better way to do that than to get away with your special someone.
There is something to be said for leaving everything else behind and just spending some quality time together in a place that inspires romance and relaxation. This could be somewhere in the north where you can cozy up next to a fireplace, it could be somewhere that you can spend the days together rejuvenating in hot springs or getting spa treatments, or it could be a tropical location where you can laze the day away in the sand with fruity drinks in hand…
The destination choice is yours, all you have to do it make the necessary preparations at home and work and contact your travel agent with your intentions so they can help you get the best deal for your chosen vacation destination. If you’re unsure as to where to go the following suggestions can help you spark some inspiration.
- St. Moritz, Switzerland – If you don’t mind the cold or crowds then you have a lot of options in January. Switzerland offers one of the most beautiful winter landscapes in the world and St. Moritz is the perfect base of operations for your exploration of this breathtaking country. Not only does the atmosphere exude romance, with its horse-drawn sleighs, glistening mountain peaks, and unique architecture, but it has fantastic shopping, amazing spas, and mineral springs, a casino, a train that will take you from St. Moritz to Zermatt and of course world-class skiing. Combine all that with a quiet dinner at one of many superb restaurants, a romantic chalet to spend your evenings in and a cozy fire to snuggle next to and you have everything you need for a romantic getaway.
- Verona, Italy – In a city that was the setting for the most well-known and most adored love story in history you don’t have to look far for romance. You can feel it in the air, see it in the architecture and hear it in the stories that the romantic city of Verona, the backdrop of Romeo and Juliet, tells through its scenery. Stroll along cobblestone streets, take in the sights of the Renaissance architecture surrounding the Piazza Erbe, visit an ancient amphitheater or the famed Juliet’s Balcony and enjoy a quiet dinner at a romantic Italian restaurant. These are the things that romance is made of and you can find it all in this awe-inspiring city.
- Estes Park, Colorado – If your idea of romance is a secluded cabin with endless views of sparkling snow and a fireplace to warm your bones after a long day of exploring then Estes Park, Colorado should be on your short list for romantic vacation ideas. There is plenty to do in the area in January, particularly if you enjoy winter activities. In the romance department, there is plenty to do as well, like skiing or snowshoeing in the moonlight, enjoying a couple’s massage, attending a tasting at an award-winning winery and making a date night out of catching a film at the oldest movie theater still operating in the United States and enjoying a romantic dinner. You’ll find everything from rustic cabins to luxury hotels, giving you plenty of options for your romantic vacation experience.
- St. Augustine, Florida – If snow and low temperatures are not your things then you should consider a much warmer city that is full of romance any time of year but particularly in January. Starting in late November and going through the end of January the city of St. Augustine features a Nights of Lights festival that is simply mesmerizing. Throughout America’s oldest city you’ll find twinkling lights and romance in the air. In addition to taking in the sight of the lights, there is plenty more to do in this city that will make you feel like you have stepped back in time. Take a tour of a winery and take a bottle back to the hotel for the two of you, walk through the streets of the Old Town and visit the artisan shops, visit the St. Augustine “love trees,” and take a carriage ride through the town. There are plenty of quaint little bed & breakfast establishments too, so you won’t have any problem finding romantic lodging in this incredible city.
- Malé, Maldives – Immerse yourselves in cosmopolitan style and island scenery while surrounded by crystal clear turquoise waters and numerous additional islands in Malé City in the Maldives. This island, home to only 150,000 people and only a couple square miles in size, is a quiet, beautiful place to spend some quality time with your mate. The town has plenty of unique sights to see and its common for people to curiously explore the island on the hot days that the area is known for. Sit back and soak in the sun, swim in a protected ocean pool, take a ferry to one of the many surrounding islands or visit the local market, where you will find fabrics, fruits and vegetables, and freshly caught catfish. Few things speak romance more than delving into a different culture together and experiencing a different part of the world.
There is no doubt you can make anyplace romantic when you’re with the one you love, or that you can find it when you least expect it, but visiting a place that already inspires it makes it easy to sit back and relax and enjoy each other. See where your travel agent can help you plan your next romantic adventure.